Our Editor shares her tips on how to sew this beautiful neckline - the Sweatheart Neckline
What is a sweetheart neckline?
The beautifully curved neckline of a sweetheart neckline features two curves over the bust, which drop and meet at the décolletage in a point and resemble a heart shape. It’s a neckline that is a very pretty neckline for bigger busted women. It can be pretty daunting sewing this neckline so we share our top tips on how to sew a sweetheart neckline.
Styling and sewing tips to achieve the perfect neckline
- Bear in mind that the sweetheart neckline results in showing a little more cleavage, so if you want a less revealing look, then you may need to alter and make it deeper.
- Clip the seams into the curves so that the fabric lays as flat as possible around the curves. This also gets rid of any bulky seam areas.
- To create a perfect sweetheart neckline you should press as you go. Start on the outer edges of each semi-circular cup and work inward towards the centre of the heart, rather than working from one side seam to the other.
- Always measure correctly to make sure that the middle of the sweetheart neckline sits neatly at the cleavage for a perfect fit.
- Understitching will prevent facings from showing and will also help you achieve a smoother professional neckline finish.
- The sweetheart neckline is meant to show off your curves especially when combined with a defined waistline and full skirt. Why not add some thicker straps for extra support for the bust?
Why choose a sweetheart neckline?
- This is a much softer choice than a V-neckline, which doesn’t suit everyone, and it’s a lot easier to sew than it looks.
- Play up the romantic curves of this pretty neckline with a short necklace, and adorn bare arms with bracelets.
- A sweetheart neckline design doesn’t necessarily have to be on a strapless garment and looks stylish with sleeves too!
Four gorgeous sewing patterns with a sweetheart neckline
Adele Jumpsuit from Love Sew Patterns
Cambie Dress from Sewaholic Patterns
Noelle Dress from Dressing Amoré
Sweetheart Dress from Sew La Di Da Vintage
Author: Julie Bonnar